Sunday, July 10, 2011

Saints

by Orson Scott Card


I know it has been a while.  I actually read Saints back in May.  It was a very good book.  I enjoyed and devoured it so much more than Peace Like a River.  It is based on my religion and it's background.  There are some parts that I could have done without.  I tried to put myself back in that time period (1800's and in England).  I can't believe some of the trials that they had to endure.  But, I do admire, Dinah Kirkham, the main character of this novel, on the way that she handled herself. 

It takes a lot of faith and courage to leave behind your home land, children, and husband to come to America.  She did this all on faith. She wanted to start a new life, new chapter, and she did just that.  She never forgot her children that she left behind (by choice, but not without a fight).

I am so glad that the church does not follow polygamy anymore... that is one topic I would have loved to be a part of at book club, but I missed it.  I am not sure if I would read this book again or not.  It is written by an LDS author.  There is some language (which I could handle), but some of the explicit details and scene, I could have done without. for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment