Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Peace Like a River

by Leif Enger
click the pick to take you to Amazon
Well...

To tell the truth, I didn't really care for this book.  I have heard/read many rave reviews, but was not pleased with it myself.  It was like nails scrapping on the chalkboard just to get through the first half of the book.  Once half way through, it actually was pretty good.  Then, the end... it DE-railed. 

Now, I know some books go back and forth for sections for different characters, places, and so forth... but this one, it left a sourer taste in my mouth.  It was a sure let down from Unbroken.  Would I recommend this book to read... no, and I would never read it again either.  I think that I will donate it to the library.  Mind you, this is just my humble opinion, and remember, I have read/heard many rave reviews.

Peace Like a River was just not my cup of tea.  It all comes down to the writing style... it takes place as an 11 year old boy telling a story (which, I had to keep reminding myself of).  I know how story telling can get off track, especially when a boy is telling it (I speak from personal experience, as I have an 11 year old), but really?  I think it would have been better if, when he does break off from the actual story and heads down a different road, if he would break from the paragraph/section, have something telling the reader that the subject is changing, then go back into the story.  In this case, the writer never did, which made it harder for me to follow.

The story does take place in the '60's I believe.  I did enjoy and got to know the characters well.  I think my all time fave was Swede.  Rube, he seems like I boy I would want to know.  Davy, I so feel for him, he went down the wrong path, but was still sweet and warm hearted.  Their father, Jeremiah, had such faith.  He was a dedicated man and father.

Next review will be on Saints by Orson Scott Card

No comments:

Post a Comment