Sunday, July 10, 2011

The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax

by Dorothy Gilman

I read this one in June.  Ya know, I am not one really for mysteries, but I enjoyed this one greatly.  Mrs. Polifax has lived a great life and is wanting a change of pace.  She is widowed, and all her children are grown and out of the house.

She was getting bored with all of her community work.  She wasn't enjoying it anymore.  So, one day, she decided that she would go to DC and talk to the CIA.  Her childhood dream was to be a 'Spy' for the U.S.  Since she had no real obligations holding her at home, she went for it.  She has more guts that I would have had, that's for sure.

So, she went to the CIA, and ended up on an adventure of a lifetime.  Her first job was to go to Mexico and be a tourist.  Who wouldn't love a job like that? 

She is very bright and thinks on her toes.  Befriending those who kidnap her, who would think an old lady would betray them.  She never gave up hope, and her fellow character were a hoot as well.  Twists and turns - I would have never thought about, and they were great. 

I am really tempted to read the other adventures that she took and takes.    I am really glad that I have joined in this book club, I am reading books that I never would have even considered. 

Since joining the book club, I am now always on the hunt for another book to read in between our assigned reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment